Let’s do this.
1. This is how sperm whales sleep.
Discovery Channel video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HengPojNgbM
2. This is how double decker buses are tested.
Bus tilt testing video: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/bus-tilt-tests
3. This is what Mars would look like if it still had water.
4. This is how zoologists weigh tiny birds.
5. This is how Amazon ships bubble wrap.
6. This is how pineapples grow.
7. This is how Google does “street view” in the Arctic.
8. This is what we’d see if Saturn was as close as the Moon.
9. This is how snow is cleared off train tracks in Alaska.
10. This is how wood chips are unloaded from trucks.
Video of this in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIFPtTrfNzQ
11. This is the first alligator with a prosthetic tail.
12. This is how a Protestant and Catholic couple were buried since neither could be buried in the other Church’s graveyard.
13. This is the Super Bowl confetti shaped like the Lombardi trophy.
14. This is what Mt. Rushmore was supposed to look like.
This scale model shows the level of detail they wanted. Too bad they ran into some serious funding troubles.
15. This is how the elevator works in St. Louis’ Gateway Arch.
Video of someone riding up the elevator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3BIBGDP3Lw
16. This is how a starfish eats an anchovy.
Video of a starfish eating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A100m5EpfFI
17. This is what 20 minutes of fireworks being set off at once looks like.
18. This is the inside of an Amazon warehouse.
19. This is tonic water under a blacklight.
Here’s how to make glow in the dark drinks: http://lifehacker.com/make-glow-in-the-dark-drinks-and-jello-with-tonic-water-1455945013
20. This is what Barbie would look like with normal proportions.
The Vice President of Design at Mattel, Kimberly Culmone, recently said, “Barbie was never designed to be realistic.” That obviously didn’t go over well.
21. This is what Justin Bieber wore to meet the Prime Minister of Canada.
22. This is what it looks like when kayaking through ice.
23. This is the world’s largest living cat.
It’s actually a liger named Hercules and weights 922 pounds.
24. This is the largest K’nex ball machine.
Video of the machine in action: http://boingboing.net/2014/01/07/worlds-largest-knext-ball.html
25. This is several tons of manure being dumped in front of the French parliament.
The gifting happened in January 2014 and was obviously a symbol of protest.
26. This is algae causing the water of Bondi Beach to turn red.
Caused by a rare algae bloom in 2012.
27. This is how fish are fed at an aquarium.
At the Harbin Pole Aquarium.
28. This is what decades of nuclear testing did to a desert in Nevada.
The history of the Nevada Test Site (NTS): http://www.brookings.edu/about/projects/archive/nucweapons/nts
29. This is what a penny looks like after being on Mars for over a year.
The penny is being carried by the Mars Rover Curiosity.
30. This is the tombstone symbol used for atheist U.S. veterans.
The National Cemetery Administration actually offers many different symbols for religious denominations:
31. This is what happens when a train does a “burnout.”
The brakes are applied but the engine didn’t get the signal.
32. This is the correct way to cut limes.
33. This is the “sand” at Ireland’s coral beach in Carraroe.
The coral pieces can get fairly large: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coral_Fragments,_Coral_Beach,_Carraroe.JPG
34. This is how much bigger Disneyworld is than Disneyland.
35. This is what the signature “line” looks like on checks.
It’s called microprinting and can be found on U.S. currency as well.
36. This is a “snake worm” called an Amphisbaena.
Video of the thing in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muar-87T66Q
37. This is Vancouver’s “The Sun” becoming “The Moon!”
38. This is what a road clearing looks like after huge snowfalls.
This is how Japan dealt with clearing the road: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtCntPsOGE
39. The name FedEx Express seems just a bit duplicative.
FedEx used to be Federal Express, which mean this is comically close to Federal Express Express. Between this and the “arrow,” FedEx really wants to stress how fast they are.
40. This is what it looks like when a walrus falls asleep on a submarine.
Apparently walruses are the “world’s most unusual snoozers:” http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29616122/#.UvpWP3ewJFU
41. This is someone who should get a DUI.
Also Nickelback lullabies exist if you weren’t aware: http://www.amazon.com/Rockabye-Baby-Lullaby-Renditions-Nickelback/dp/B00F96H152